Archaeological Heritage and World Heritage Sites: Towards Sustainable Management of Landscapes
3 – 6 December 2019, Arica, Chile
In 2019, the ICOMOS International Scientific Committee for Archaeological Heritage Management (ICAHM) is proud to announce that the 2019 ICAHM Annual Meeting will bring us, after 7 years, back to South America, to Arica, Chile. The Meeting will be organized in cooperation with ICOMOS Chile and take place at the Antay Hotel.
The 2019 ICAHM Annual Meeting will provide a meeting ground for preservationists and local communities and indigenous groups in South America. The conference themes elicit contributions about legal frameworks, intellectual and TEK property rights, bioethics, aboriginal and community archaeology, and dialogue on controlling and mitigating the impacts of plundering and illegal trade.
This 2019 meeting will engage national ICOMOS committees in South America and globally to consider the themes within the overall context of “Archaeological Heritage and World Heritage Sites, Towards the Sustainable Management of Landscapes”. Shifting from sites to landscapes addresses broader communities engaged and impacted by world heritage designations, and especially indigenous peoples, their participation in decision-making, and their control over their indigenous places and traditional knowledge.
- Indigenous Archaeologies in Latin America: Archaeologists, Archaeology and Indigenous Peoples
- The role of States, communities and experts in the conservation and management of the cultural and archaeological heritage of the Andean peoples of northern Chile
- Processes of plundering and restitution of archaeological and anthropological collections
- Public Archaeology and First Peoples (Indigenous) Communities
- Competing Values: Bioethics in Practice within Archaeological and Anthropological Research
We will also organize a round-table focused on ‘Mentoring Session on Desk Audits/Site Visits’.
The abstract submission deadline is 6 May 2019. More information about the conference themes can be found on the under ‘Themes and Abstract Submission‘.
Important conference dates:
Open registration: 4 March
Abstract submission deadline: 6 May
Acceptance of papers and posters: 15 May
Registration deadline for presenting authors: 1 July
Early Bird registration deadline: 30 June
Registration Deadline: 1 November
We also offer a pre-conference program including:
- 2-day site visit to The Nitrate plants of Humberstone and Santa Laura, WHS, the Geoglyphs of Pintados and Tiliviche
- 1-day excursions to: Qhapaq Nan segment, World Heritage Site, in Socoroma and the Valley of Lluta; Chinchorro sites in Camarones Valle; and the Archaeological sites and Museum in Azapa Valley
- Pre-conference International Seminar “Conservation and sustainable development of the archaeological heritage at the World Heritage Sites of Chile”
We are looking forward to meeting you in Arica, Chile!
The Organizing Committee